The Video Game Trophy Room: Episode 96: Final Fantasy VI

SNES: Final Fantasy VI

I honestly don't really know what I can say about this game that hasn't been said countless times before. It's a masterpiece of gaming. Great soundtrack, Epic story, engaging combat, great magic system, tons of hidden side-quest's and secret items. Linear and Non-linear game play elements. Combine them all together and you have Final Fantasy VI.

I'll always remember the first time I played it, completely oblivious to the fact that it was not actually the 3rd Final Fantasy but the 6th, when I rented it from the video store one summer day. I believe I'd read about in a year prior at my friends house in one of his gaming mags, but what I will always remember is the ad that was printed in there. It had a picture of Mog, as he is on the cover, with a ton of monsters in front of him, just standing there so cockily against his sword. Underneath it had the caption " It doesn't seem fair does it?" Turing the ad over revealed a pile of dead monsters and Mog standing there, looking as cocky as ever, with "Who says life is fair?" written underneath. That was 15 years ago, and suffice to say it made quite an impression on me. I was sold on this game well over a year before it's North American release.

I'd played Final Fantasy for NES of course, but it was a little before my gaming time. I'd never really been into RPGs when I had my NES, with the exception of Dragon Warrior. But I was older now, wiser, and I had seen the light.

Out of every game that I've posted in the trophy room this one holds a really special meaning for me. It was really my gateway into the RPG world, which quickly became my favourite type of video gaming style. I've played hundreds of RPGs since then, and it always comes back to this game. It is the standard to which they are all compared.

posted by themoogle at

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home
Archives